Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Salt Questions

I've gotten a few questions about salt so I thought I'd write a post about it.

The first question is: Why do you put salt on top of your baked goods?

The answer is pretty easy; Just like adding salt to savory dishes, salt enhances the flavors in the baked goods. Simply put, salt makes things (even sweet things) taste better.

The next question is: Do I have to use sea salt or can I substitute a different kind?

Simply answered, sea salt is the best for finishing. Inside the cookie I use kosher salt (because that's what I always have in the house. It's a little finer than the chunky sea salt that I have, but chunkier than regular table salt. I think it's perfect for inside of baked goods.) but there really isn't a substitute for sea salt when finishing. I have found this to be true because it's less "salty" than regular table salt or kosher salt and has a different texture... It's crunchy but hollow. It's hard to explain, so just trust me and go get some. There are, however, many different kinds of sea salts. I use chunky French grey sea salt (it also comes finely ground. I wouldn't use that on top of a cookie), but there are hundreds of different kinds out there that can be used with your baked goods.

Side story - My brother is working in Cambodia on getting this resort ready to open. Go look at it. It looks amazing. I was on the website reading the chef's blog and he mentioned they make their own sea salt from the water there. I want to go to there. Maybe Seth will send me some of their artisan salt (did I just make that term up? I don't know, but it seems fitting). Or do I have to go there and get some myself? I think that sounds like a better plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment