Tuesday, June 21, 2011

'Smore Brownie Mix Monday, Please


I am aware that it is Tuesday, which means it is no loner Monday. I didn't get around to making brownies till late last night. And it was a mistake. These brownies were a little bit of 'smore sprinkled with a little bit of fail. They weren't inedible, because really... it takes a lot (I mean real lot) to make a brownie inedible to me. The brownies just didn't have the essential elements that make a 'smore a 'smore. Those elements are; crispy from the graham cracker, sticky and gooey (and messy) from the marshmallow and melty/chocolatey from the chocolate. You also can't forget the charred crunch on the outside of the marshmallow. Anyways, here's what I did and why it didn't work for me:

I put some butter in my brownie pan, melted it and added crushed up graham crackers (a la 7 layer cookies). Then I put my brownie batter on top of that. Cooked them till done, removed them from the oven and spread fluff on them. (For those of you unfortunate enough to have never experienced Fluff, it's like marshmallow cream only 1oo times better. They still don't sell it in most western states, so I guess you'll just have to pay me a visit and pick up some up. Or you can order some on their website.) Then I broiled it for a minute so the Fluff could get browned and crusty.

The verdict? The graham crackers managed to soak up the moistness of the brownies and they developed a weird texture in the oven. The brownies were a bit dry and crust was soggy. Also, note to self... buy plain graham crackers, not cinnamon ones. Next time I will try making the graham cracker crust and pre-baking it so that it gets really crunchy and crisp (and hopefully stays that way). I missed that texture in my brownie. I will also add a layer of chocolate chips on top of the brownies to get that melty factor. The thing that did come through in my brownies was the fluff layer. It was sticky, messy, charred and delicious. Win.

I will be fine tuning this recipe in the months to come, so keep an eye out!

2 comments:

  1. yeah - Fluff rocks - they don't have it in the southern states either - oh well!
    I love this brownie idea & look forward to you tweeking it to 'your' perfection. Loving this blog - <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I can't wait to hear how this turns out your next time after some 'fine tuning'. You love that even if I don't make the things you blog about (which I totally plan to, just have to wait til my life settles down a bit and we're not living out of boxes), I still love reading it and 'ingesting' it with my eyes. lol

    ReplyDelete