Monday, July 11, 2011

Brownie Mix Monday (or BMM)

I've taken it upon myself to shorten the title to BMM. Hope you don't mind.

So, let's jump right in... This week, I thought I was somewhat of a culinary genius when I brained this one up. Picture it in your head... Mocha brownie drenched in a caramel macchiato sauce. It sounded good in my head. And it was good. You just need to eat the whole pan within an hour of making it. I kind of drew inspiration from this recipe for apple cake. I. Love. That. Cake. I thought that pouring the caramel sauce from that recipe over the brownies would elevate them, but I would recommend keeping the sauce separate until serving. It would be so so so so good on vanilla ice cream too. Leave out the coffee, if you wish (I know there are a lot of people who read this that probably don't have coffee in their kitchen cupboard... and that's ok. It will still be good.)


The brownies aren't very photogenic. As my father put it "Well, Weezie... They taste much better than they look. And thank goodness for that. They look like something you would scrape off of an oil spill." (Or something to that effect). I would have to agree.

For the brownies, I just made them according to package directions, but instead of plain water, I mixed the amount of water indicated on the package with 1 tsp instant decaff coffee granules. Here is the recipe for the sauce:

Caramel Macchiato Sauce

1/4 cup milk
1 tsp. instant coffee granules (I used decaff)
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, chopped in small pieces
1/4 tsp sea salt

Heat milk on stove with coffee until the granules are dissolved. Add the other ingredients and cook until it bubbles and the sugar is dissolved. And that's it! Drizzle over your brownies or ice cream and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment