Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Roasted Butternut Squash Dip

I was so proud of how this came out.  I'm sure if the powers that be gave away a prize for "The most life changing dip", I would be crowned the winner.  I really think this dip might win me the Nobel Peace Prize or something.  It is so so so good and it has lots of different applications too.  We served it with crackers for the wedding, but we had quite a few leftovers and here are some of the things we have done/are planning on doing.

1.  Use it as a filling for ravioli.  Fry the boiled ravioli with butter, sage and top with candied walnuts.  It reminded me of one of my favorite dishes from one of my favorite restaurants, J. Timothy's. 
2.  I made fresh pasta (boxed would be fine too), put the squash in a separate pan and thin it out with some of the pasta cooking water.  Add the cooked pasta and toss to coat.  Serve with sage fried in brown butter if desired.
3.  I haven't tried this one yet, but I can't wait to - Get some nice grainy bread, spread the squash dip on one slice of bread.  Top with sliced turkey or chicken, crisp apple slices and Havarti cheese.  Top with another piece of bread and grill the whole thing panini style.  Sounds like a winner to me.
4.  Thin it out in a pot with water or chicken stock, warm it all up and viola!  Soup!
5.  Just eat it with a spoon out of the container.

So, I guess I should give you the recipe now. 


ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH DIP

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 large butternut squash, peeled and cut into about 1 inch cubes
  • 1 small onion, peeled and cut roughly the same size as the squash
  • 1 large apple (I used cortland, but any type would do), peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
  • drizzle of olive oil
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. kosher salt (or to taste)
  • black pepper, a few good grinds or to taste
  • 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp ground cardamom (optional)

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a large bowl, toss the squash, onion, apple, olive oil, brown sugar, salt and pepper until the fruit and vegetables are evenly coated.  Pour into a roasting pan and roast in preheated oven until squash is tender and caramelized (30-45 minutes), tossing every 15 minutes or so. 

When squash is roasted, remove from oven.  Place the squash mixture into the bowl of a food processor fitted with a blade.  Whiz is all up until there aren't any large lumps.  Add the cream cheese and spices and grind again till really smooth.  Taste and adjust seasonings to your taste (I usually end up putting in my ginger, but that's just me). 

Serve room temp with sage fried in brown butter if desired. 


No comments:

Post a Comment