Thursday, June 9, 2011

Are you Scanning a Cookie?

Who doesn't love chocolate chip cookies? I haven't met anyone who doesn't yet. A couple of years ago I set out to find my perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe. I say my perfect cookie because I think everyone has their own perception of what a chocolate chip cookie should be. For me, it's a little crisp on the outside and extremely chewy, almost dense, inside. I tried lots of recipes and they were all good because really, I don't think there's such a thing as bad chocolate chip cookies. The thing that did it for me, was what I called "The morning after test". They all tasted good warm because, well... they were warm. The texture was great cause they were gooey, but the morning after they didn't do so well. The texture got all weird and crumbly. I finally combined a bunch of recipes and came up with my own version. There is still one recipe that I recently saw that I need to try. I'll make them next week and do a comparison. So far, this is my favorite recipe:

(Yes, I did scan this cookie using my desktop scanner/copier/printer)



Weezie's Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients
2 Sticks (1 cup) Butter*
1/2 Cup White Sugar
1 Cup Brown Sugar
2 teaspoon Vanilla
1 Egg
1 Egg Yolk
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
2 1/4 cups flour
1 package Ghiradelli 60% Cocoa Chocolate Chips**
Sea Salt, optional

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Beat butter and sugars in stand mixer until well incorporated and fluffy (about 2 minutes).
  3. Add the vanilla, egg and egg yolk. Beat until well incorporated.
  4. Add the baking soda and salt and beat until well mixed.
  5. Add the flour and mix just until the flour is incorporated. Mix in the chocolate chips until evenly distributed throughout batter.
  6. Scoop batter onto silpat or parchment lined baking sheets. The size of my cookies depend upon what I'm making the cookies for, so that is up to your own discretion. At this point you can sprinkle a small amount of sea salt on them. I really enjoy that little touch, but you don't have to do it.
  7. Bake cookies in preheated oven for 9-13 minutes depending on the size of your cookies. Bake only until the edges are golden brown. They may not look done, but that's what gives them the good texture the next day.
*I have done this with cold butter straight from the fridge and room temp butter and the results are always the same delicious cookie. If you use cold butter, you might just have to beat it a little longer with the sugar, but no biggie.
**You can certainly use other kinds of chips, but these, I have found work best. I like the shape and size of them and they are really good quality. Also, Zak loves eating dark, dark chocolate (I'm talking 85% cocoa), so he prefers this chocolate too.

1 comment:

  1. I've been on such a chocolate chip cookie kick. Those look great. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd love it if you'd come by and link your cookies up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/06/sweets-for-saturday-21.html

    ReplyDelete