Monday, September 26, 2011

Dulce De Leche

Maybe I'm behind on the times on this, but I just discovered it and my life will never be the same.  One ingredient... that's all it takes.  It's pretty dangerous.  My only saving grace is that it takes 2-3 hours to make.  But there are endless uses for it!  Here's how I made mine:

DULCE DE LECHE

Ingredients:
1 Can sweetened condensed milk

Directions:
Bring a large pot of water to a boil.  Take the label off of your can of milk.  Place the whole, unopened can in the boiling water on its side.  Turn heat to med/low just to keep the water at a simmer.  Simmer for 2 1/2-3 hours checking the pot every once in a while and adding water when necessary.  I turned my can over every 30 minutes to keep it cooking even.  When the 2 1/2 hours was up, I ran my can under some cold water because I couldn't wait to open it.  Carefully open the can.  Mine kind of burped a bit and some of the caramel milk came oozing out when I pierced the can.  And that's it!  

We ate it with apples to which Zak said was too healthy.  Here are some other (less healthy) ideas we came up with:

Put it on apple pie ala mode
Pour it over apple cider doughnuts
Over cheesecake
As an ice cream topper
Dip McDonald's apple pies in it (that was Zak's contribution)
On brownies

Whatever you do with it, I'm sure it would be delicious.  I also saw a recipe where they put the can in a crock pot of water for 7-8 hours.  Haven't tried it yet, but it sounds pretty easy.  Do you have any ideas on how to use this edible gold?



2 comments:

  1. YUM! I want to try this! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum! Looks great! Thanks so much for linking up to Tuesday Talent Show! I would love to have you stop by and link up again tomorrow with more great projects!
    -Nikki
    http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete