Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Satan's Eggs

I'm making the food for a wedding in a couple of weeks and I've been busy practicing and testing recipes.  When discussing the menu with the bride and her family, the bride didn't seem to really care what was on the menu.  Her only request was that there be deviled eggs present.  No offense, Ashley, but I've never really been a fan of deviled eggs.  Ever since I was a child I hated anything with hardboiled eggs in it.  Egg salad, deviled eggs, American potato salad (I grew up on German potato salad, but that's another post)... all grossed me out.  I think it's from when my mom would pack egg salad in our lunches for weeks after Easter because of all of the leftover colored eggs.  Taking egg salad for lunch in elementary school was like committing social suicide.  It was all funky colored from the dye seeping into the eggs and it smelled like farts.


Anyways, I was trying to think of how to update the humble deviled egg so it would look a little more contemporary.  This is what I came up with.  Since I was the only one sampling the eggs, I filled it with all kinds of stuff... eggs yolks, whole grain mustard, minced onions, mayo, and I think I put some relish in it and of course some paprika sprinkled on top.  Then I placed a chive right on top.  I kind of liked it and I even made myself egg salad the next day for lunch.  And I hate to admit it, but I've kind of been craving it. 


I don't know if you can really tell from the pictures, but instead of cutting the eggs in half length wise, I cut them crosswise on a diagonal.  They looked better in person.  I couldn't find my big star tip so I had to use the small one.  For the wedding, I will use the big star tip.  I think it will look better. 


3 comments:

  1. It's as fancy as you can possibly make deviled eggs. I always use a bag and large star tip to fill mine, nicer and neater, nice Weezie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Satan's Eggs, lol! Deviled eggs don't need to be fancy, they are one of those things no one is going to look at long enough, rather suck them up like a hoover! But I like your cut and the chive, looks good and glad you've come closer to the dark side. - Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm kinda with you, never been a huge fan but sometimes they have tasted amazing...when I only have like one or two. These you made look awesome. It's making me crave them now...but then I remember that they do in fact smell like farts and I'm ok not having them right now. lol.

    ReplyDelete